Ganges is one of the holiest river in India and its source, a sacred pilgrimage for devout Hindus. The trek follows the Ganges to its source at Gaumukh, the snout of river Ganges. Gangotri at a height of 10365 ft is in a spectacular setting marking the confluence of Kedar gorge and the river Bhagirathi, the source of the river Ganges.
The trekking route passes through the rich green forests across beautiful meadows. The region has many specifically important Hindu pilgrimage sites. The Holy River Ganges is the most sacred river in the Hindu religion and its source at Gaumukh on the Gangotri glacier and many other peaks. Gaumukh is one of the holiest places for Hindu pilgrims who come here to witness the birth of Mother Ganga. The trek takes you to Gaumukh (cows mouth), the mythological source of the River Ganges, which is at the snout of the Gangotri glacier.
|BEST TIME||MAY-JUNE & SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER|
|TRAVEL PERIOD||MAY, 2015|
|ROUTING ARRIVAL||HARIDWAR - RISHIKESH - UTTARKASHI - GANGOTRI - BHUJBASSA - GAUMUKH - TAPOVAN - NANDANVAN- BHUJBASSA - GANGOTRI - UTTARKASHI - RISHIKESH - HARIDWAR DEPARTURE|
|HIGHEST ALTITUDE||4500 M APPROX|
|AREA||GARHWAL HIMALAYAS OF UTTARAKHAND ( INDIAN HIMALAYAS)|
|GRADING||GRADE 3 (TREKKING)|
|DURATION||11 NIGHTS / 12 DAYS|
DAY 01 ARRIVAL HARIDWAR (TRAIN)
On arrival at Haridwar railway station, meet and assistance by India Insight tour manager and proceeds towards hotel. Upon arrival check in to the hotel for night stay.
- Evening converge at Har Ki Puri the witness Spectacular Evening Prayer on the banks of the Ganges.
Overnight at the hotel.
DAY 02 HARIDWAR / UTTARKASHI
DISTANCE 150KMS; DRIVING TIME 06/07 HRS; ALTITUDE: 1150M
After breakfast drive to Uttarkashi, the road quickly leaves the plains and winds its way through the foothills of the Garhwal Himalayas to reach the ancient capital of Garhwal called "THERI" from here on we follow the Bhagirathi river through amazing countryside dotted with typical garhwali villages all along the route.
On arrival check in to the hotel. Overnight at the hotel.
DAY 03 UTTARKASHI / GANGOTRI
DISTANCE - 100 KMS / 03 HRS DRIVE; ALTITUDE-3048M
From Uttarkashi the roads climb rather quickly and steeply over several hairpin bends and the roaring Bhagirathi river always giving you company. Gangotri (3048m), with its famous Goddess Ganga Temple is inhabited during the summer months. It is surrounded by wonderful slopes covered in Deodar and fir trees. Above the slopes are dramatic rock walls, A boulder marks the spot where King Bhagirath beseeched the Goddess Ganga to descent to earth. An ancient temple dedicated to the Goddess rises just above the river. Arriving afternoon and check-in to lodge. Dinner & overnight at lodge.
DAY 04 GANGOTRI
After breakfast, full day local visit for getting the acclimatization properly & visit temples & Ghats. Overnight at the lodge.
DAY 05 GANGOTRI / CHIRBASSA / BHUJBASSA (TREK START)
DISTANCE - 14 KMS / 05/06 HRS TREK; ALTITUDE - 3800M
Begin Trek to the Source of the Ganges for the nights camp at Bhujbassa (3800m) and follow a well defined trail of this pilgrimage route to the Gangotri Glacier. All along the trail the roaring river stays to our right and we are always shadowed by mighty Snow covered peaks all through the days walk. En route we stop for Lunch at Chirbassa, where small tea shops emerge during the summers to provide respite and some fresh drinks to Trekkers. Chirbassa was once a heavily forested area of Chir Tree (Local tree) and with the passage of time only a few remain. From here we cross a section of loose boulders till de descent to Bhujbassa, which by its name was a forest of Bhuj trees, on the bark of which all Hindu manuscripts used to be written in the earlier times. Nothing remain of this holy tree and is now dotted with a Tourist Bungalow and as Ashram run by a Baba. On arrival camp is set for overnight.
- Late afternoon to explore and enjoy the beauty of this heavenly place.
Meals & overnight in camp.
DAY 06 BHJUBASSA / GAUMUKH / TAPOVAN
04 HRS WALK; ALTITUDE - GAUMUKH - 3900M, TAPOVAN - 4450M
Leaving the tree line behind we walk towards Gaumukh or "Cow's Mouth", where we see the first origination the Mother Ganga gushing out of the huge Gangotri Glacier. This part of the walk takes about 01 hour. Gaumukh, is a unique sight in itself as you see holy men and pilgrims praying and taking a holy dip in the Ice-cold Glacial waters of the Ganges right at the snout of the Glacier, here the Holy Ganges is in its purest form.....Over an hour spend here to experience the faith of the Hindu devotees towards the Holy Ganges and is yet another incredible sight to see during this trip. From here on the path climbs from the right on to the Gangotri Glacier which is full of loose rocks & boulders. The last bit of climb to Tapovan (4,500m) is very steep and quite demanding with the beautiful mountains hovering over you all the time. Tapovan is a high mountain meadow set at the foot of the mighty Shivling peak.
- Afternoon at leisure for individual activities.
Meals & overnight at camp.
DAY 07 TAPOVAN
- Day free to explore and discover this beautiful meadow, where numerous sadhus meditate in the Hidden caves.
Meals & overnight in camp.
DAY 08 TAPOVAN / NANDANVAN
06 HRS WALK; ALTITUDE: NANDANVAN - 4570M
After breakfast at the camp, trek to Nandanvan via Gangotri glacier. The glacier runs between two ranges and glacier walk is very slippery and a slight fall would be fatal. On arrival site the camp. Dinner and overnight at Camp.
DAY 09 NANDANVAN / CHIRBASSA
05 HRS WALK; ALTITUDE- BHOJBASA 3600M
After break-fast commence descent trek toward to Gaumukh through the beautiful views around 05 hrs trek to Chirbassa. Meals & overnight at the camp.
DAY 10 CHIRBASSA / GANGOTRI (TREK END)Commence return trek down to Gangotri. On arrival at Gangotri check in to the lodge. Overnight at the lodge.
DAY 11 GANGOTRI / UTTARKASHI / RISHIKESH
After breakfast drive to Rishikesh, following the torrential river down stream to road winds down the valley past the hot sulphur springs at Gangani to decent steeply down a series of hairpin bends to the village of Sukki. Then down in to rhe wide picturesque Harsil valley, rich with walnut, apple and deodar tree. Upon arrival check in to the hotel.
- Evening visit to the Triveni Ghat to witness yet another special prayer ceremony is very interesting.
Overnight at the hotel.
DAY 12 RISHIKESH / HARIDWAR (DRIVE) / DEPARTURE (TRAIN)
DISTANCE 25 KMS, 01 HRS DRIVE
After breakfast, at the hotel drive to Haridwar for your final departure towards destinations.
***END OF THE PROGRAM***
- Accommodation in Standard hotels on twin share basis
- Vehicle disposal pick up from Haridwar railway station till drop at trekking point Gangotri and next pick up from trekking point Gangotri till drop at Haridwar railway station including all sector drives, sightseeing by Non AC Local Jeep as per program.
- Services of local English speaking trek manager for entire tour from Haridwar railway station till drop back at Haridwar railway station.
- Entrance fees and camping charges for Uttarakhand.
- Entry fee for entre in Gangotri national park is included.
TREKKING & CAMPING INCLUSIONS:
- Complete trekking and camping arrangements for entire trek as per program including service of experienced cook, Sherpa staff, two pax mountain tents, mattresses & other basic camping gear. All meal during camping.
- Porters to carry trek & personal baggage for entire trek (20 Kgs personal baggage)
- All camping charges en route.
THE ABOVE PRICE EXCLUDES:
- Any expenses of personal nature such as drinks, laundry, telephones / fax calls, Sleeping Bag etc.
- ANY EXPENSES CAUSED BY REASON BEYOND OUR CONTROL SUCH AS ROAD BLOCKS, WEATHER CONDITIONS , NATURAL CALAMITIES , ACCIDENTS, MEDICAL EVACUATION , FLIGHT CANCELLATION , RESCHEDULING , DELAYS ETC
- Any tips to drivers, hotel staff.
- Any local airfares. Visa fee or airport taxes.
- Any other expenses apart from the ones mentioned above.
- Any meals apart from the mentioned above.